Saturday, January 8, 2011

Editing Photos -Still Life and Portraits


Hydrangeas are my absolute favorite flower, followed closely by cone flowers, roses, irises and a dozen others.  I wrote a few posts ago about finding a bouquet of dried hydrangeas in an old pitcher at Collected, a new store on Main Street in my town.  When I offered to buy the hydrangeas, the owner gave them to me and suggested that I take them home in the pitcher so they would not be crushed.  I had never met her before, but she knows my daughter.  I took photographs of the flowers and returned the bouquet and pitcher a week or so later...but I found a couple of blooms that I had put in a smaller vase when I got home, and they are begging me to take their picture! 

I wasn't too happy with the photos I made that day, though I did learn to never photograph a white vase against a white background.  (My studio is a white, tri-fold poster board.)   The image above is the result of that photo shoot.  I cropped it to 12 inches by 12 inches and processed it by using Florabella, Kim Klassen and Shadowhouse textures.  Of course, it was resized for the web using an action by Rita of Coffeeshop.

Speaking of editing, my good friend Charlotte Wilson, aka charlotteinkennesaw, has a tutorial on the process she uses in editing portraits.   She believes all portraits should be glamour shots, a philosphy that her mature and teenage clients both appreciate.  Check out Charlotte's tutorial at  http://charlotteinkennesaw-charlottesweb.blogspot.com/, and while you're there check out her other posts.  Her writing is very poignant with a touch of humor.  Her amazing Flickr photostream can be viewed at:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/charlotteinkennesaw/

Hope yall have a wonderful weekend.

1 comment:

charlottes web said...

Betty,

You are so kind to mention me. Thank you very much for your endorsements.

I love this hydrangea shot. I think I am going to have to buy you a hydrangea so that you will not have to go borrowing. :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...